Saturday, October 8, 2011

Life Happens

I completely understand life happens and do my best to keep this in mind when planning events but yesterday that positive attitude thing was no where to be found. This past summer we started doing Mama's Night Outs and it was super fun. The first time it was just me and my besties, we invited others but none came so the four of us had a blast crafting, eating and discovering the best candy store ever. Mama's Night Out round two was quite different, a full table, multiple conversations and mama's I hadn't seen for a while, awesome. Round three a bit of the same, quality time chatting with mama's over delicious desserts.
















Before I get into last night's gathering let me just remind myself, yes life happens. As much of a planner as I am and even though I 99% of the time do what I say I will do I am not crazy enough to believe plans will never be broken. We all have kiddos, significant others, jobs, houses, family, etc. and sometimes those things need to take priority over a fun night out. BUT planning is only enjoyable when the plans work.


















Jenny Dickinson was kind enough to agree to a baking lesson for this month's night out. She loves cooking and baking so I thought it would be relaxing and something unique to have her show us how to make fall cookies, we could all ask questions, watch, learn, chat and enjoy fallish treats. As of Thursday there were eleven mama's committed to coming, Jenny was baking away and I was convincing my husband it wasn't a big deal to flip flop our dining room and play room. By 10pm we had moved the rooms, groceries were purchased, the table was set and I was giddy with excitement.


















Well life happened and in the end only five mama's came and to be honest I was annoyed and crabby. Of course I still had a fantastic time and love all the mama's who showed, we laughed, sipped hot cider and soaked in all of Jenny's helpful baking tips but inside I couldn't help but be annoyed. Jenny and I put a lot of work into the night, money was spent, my husband contributed time and everyone who didn't show up would have loved it. That's really where my annoyance and disappointment come from, so many missed out on a wonderful evening.


















I am thankful for last night, the time away from my kiddos, the delicious cookies and the reminder that yes life happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment