Monday, October 24, 2011

A for Effort

I have a good friend who really is more than just that, she is a friend that really gets me. I crave plans, family fun and making memories for my little ones. I tend to look past sensible, throw out realistic and force the fun when necessary. So when I text my friend asking if she too wanted to dress her kids up in costumes, venture to the zoo with hundreds maybe thousands of other crazy people and drag our husbands along all for some Halloween candy I already knew the response... of course! If there is a family fun event in a hundred mile radius she knows about it and either welcomes my proposed plans or has had it on the calendar way before me.










































So after a rushed morning gathering my boys from their grandparents after a late night at the fall fest, we made it to church with costumes stashed in the trunk. Service ended, we made our plan and headed for the zoo. The boys didn't know what we were doing, my husband was holding back his grumbles and I was pushing all my sicky tummy feelings away because we were going to have fun. As I knelt in the grass in front of a small white house blocks and blocks away from the zoo entrance making last minute adjustments to Pacey's fish costume I ignored my husbands muffled complaints and got excited for the memories.























Well there are no positive, picture worthy moments to report. We quickly discovered the line for trick-or-treating was outrageously long, there was no way our kiddos would last and maybe just maybe our husbands were right. No it couldn't be true, ok ditch the idea of candy I mean Target is down the road filled with candy for a few dollars, let's just enjoy the animals. She led the way blazing a trail weaving through parents holding crying kids and leaving the husbands in the dust. After looking at the lion, witnessing an orangutan pounding on the glass clearly upset at all the monkey costumes and more and more raindrops hitting our face we gave it up. I threw the kids in the stroller, yelled "we are leaving talk to you later" and booked it to the car. As I agreed with my husband that was a once in a lifetime attempt and wondering why anyone in their right mind would even think that was a good idea we left in the pouring rain.

Now most would probably throw in the towel and conclude fun wasn't happening that day, oh no not this mama. We brought pumpkins to my mom's for Sunday dinner and made everyone join in the carving experience. Uncle Andy was the funniest, stating "I'm not a dad yet I don't need to do this", well sorry sir today we ARE having some fall fun. Pacey was not interested at all, Trexen loved it for about fifteen minutes and we ended with the adults carving pumpkins while the boys played. I saw smiles though, we did have fun and Trexen hasn't stopped talking about his scary pumpkin all day.






































































Sometimes ideas are actually better in our heads than in reality but I say we got an A for effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment