Thursday, July 21, 2011

You're Mean

"You're mean", that is what my husband said to me last Saturday morning. The few seconds prior to this statement I was frustrated, tired and simply said, "I need a break from these kids!" In my mind that is not mean just real, after an entire week with my darling little ones and I longed for a few minutes to myself.











A year and half or so ago I was part of a "Mom to Mom" group; we met once a week after our kids were sleeping soundly and shared highs and lows. Many of the moms stayed home during the day teaching and loving on their kiddos but I at the time was working 40+ hours each week out of the house. Over and over these mamas shared stories of weekends being difficult, their husbands messing up the routine and Monday bringing them back to normalcy.














Interesting...supposedly fun, family filled weekends being stressful. At the time I couldn't relate as I enjoyed the occasional Saturday lounging in pj's watching cartoons or skipping naps to be on the go. I listened intently to these mamas, tried to sympathize and stored that interesting thought in my mind.












Well this past weekend it went from an interesting thought to the truth...weekends are a bit challenging. My husbands been away all week and wants to spend time at home while I plea to go somewhere, anywhere. He wants to lay on the floor and play tractors when that is what I did hour after hour for the past 5 days. My significant other attempts to put the boys in their beds at 10am for a morning nap just because they "look tired" and I am arguing that nap time is at 1pm, don't mess with our schedule!

I like routine, plans and schedules and yes throughout the week we have sort of a routine. As the one with my 2 and 1 year old the majority of the time I know their moods, what to expect and how we do things. My husband is a fantastic, out of this world daddy but does it differently, not bad or worse, just different. So in my mind I am not "mean" just need to learn how to embrace the weekends, the times of crabbiness because naps were messed up, lounging in pj's even if they are the same pair I wore for the past 2 ok maybe 3 days and truly enjoying time with my boys and husband together.












Mama Meanness, I don't think so, simply striving for sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment