Monday, July 11, 2011

Making Memories

I feel myself becoming more aware of memories, feeling the need to make unforgettable ones, soaking in every last drop of fun and trying to store each moment in my mind. My childhood is filled with the most happy memories; summers of camping, swimming, late nights by the fire and just enjoying friends and family. It's funny the bits and pieces of memories I remember, my mom says, "remember camping with friends, how crazy it was trying to entertain all you kids while setting up the tent, preparing food, keeping everyone caked with bug spray"... nope I remember the smell of campfires filling the air, the bright colored Christmas lights on all the campers, staying up past bedtime and loving the freedom to run a few sites down to dig in the dirt with friends.











I don't remember the stress of packing for a weekend away, the anxiety bedtime in a tent with 3 kids must have brought or my parents ever complaining about how much work it was to make a weekend of fun happen. I also don't remember every part of the memories, each detail that completes the event but the pictures stamped in my mind put a smile on my face. I'm sad those pictures are now just memories and life took old friends on different paths but incredibly thankful my parents loved us enough to make the memories.











Everyday as I pray for God to mold me into the best mom I can be, to keep me patient and calm, I pray for energy to always make memories. Don't ever let me pass up an opportunity to stamp some amazing pictures in my kid's minds. Yep my little ones are only two and one and won't remember all the details of this past weekend's cottaging trip but I know love was just stamped in their minds and hearts. They were loved not only by their mommy and daddy but three other families, they played in dirt, had the smell of campfire trapped in their clothes and in the end cried when saying good-bye.











I am the first to say, "It's a lot of work to make memories" but you have to do it. Fill your little one's minds with pictures they won't ever want to forget. Look past the stress, exhaustion, dirty laundry, what ifs and make happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment