Monday, April 4, 2011

Left at the Dump

Saturday was a sad day at our house filled with tears, anxiety and heart break. On Trexen's 1st birthday his "Oma" my mother-in-law gave him a ribbon blankie. He immediately was attached and has been sucking on the ribbons ever since. Despite numerous cleanings, hand washings and febreeze that blankie was disgusting. Holes lined the edges, most of the ribbons had been reattached several times and the white soft minky turned dark.

Honestly I didn't really have a problem with the blankie. It calmed Trexen, helped him sleep and shushed him in the car. My two children have my unconditional love, I couldn't imagine life without them but they are the most difficult kids ever. Someone is always worked up about something, from day one they were both colicky and never learned to self soothe so the blankie was my friend.

No one else felt this way though and I just got tired of it. My family thought it was disgusting, his Oma fights with him every Tuesday at her house to put it away and my husband can't stand to see it in his mouth. So I was out numbered and caved to the pressure. Friday Trexen dug through my fabric scraps and picked out his squares, sat on my lap helping me sew and was excited to see the finished product.











I let him sleep with both blankies Friday night but Saturday came all too quickly and it was dump day. 7:30am the four of us piled in the car with new blankie and yucky blankie. Trexen was all smiles not really realizing what was about to happen. Daddy dumped all the garbage and yucky blankie, the tears started to fall. He was so sad, truly sad and it broke my heart. He struggled all day to relax and couldn't nap. We stopped at all our family member's houses to show off the new blankie and he was happy but hesitant.



























2 nights down now, sleeping has not been great but that's expected. Every so often he says "I just want my yucky blankie so bad" and my heart aches but it is the first of many hardships.

Hope your weekend was wonderful! See you Friday; I am thinking playdate at my house as we have some new moms wanting to join us and it's always easier to chat at someone's house.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...Poor Trex! But the new blankie is SO cute! (That red dot material is the same stuff I got for Nathan's train shirt for his birthday. :) )

    ReplyDelete