Sunday, September 25, 2011

Endurance was Tested

Today was the Roo Run Run, Trexen was registered, had his number and ready to put all his practicing to the test. If you haven't experienced the Roo Run Run it is pretty funny, a race for kiddos 2 years- 6 years. They get a t-shirt, an official number and medal at the end. I signed Trexen up a few weeks ago with some specific intentions. My husband and I want to facilitate a healthy lifestyle filled with activity for our little ones and in addition we are desperately trying to help Trexen overcome his painfully shy nature.


















My entire family has been hyping this race up for weeks now, encouraging him and preparing to cheer him on. Trexen was excited to wear his gold tennis shoes and pump his arms to fly past the other competitors. Morning arrived with dark gloomy rain clouds, cool air and anything but ideal conditions for a child's run. We debated all morning about what to do my husband ready to throw in the towel and move on while I was already configuring an indoor race track somewhere in our house with a finish line and balloons, I mean he was going to run no matter what.

We decided to get in the car and head to the zoo hoping the rain would stop in time for the race. Trexen fell asleep on the way and we were running late making for a crabby three year old and an anxiously frantic mama. On a positive note the rain had stopped and Trexen was quickly snapping out of the crabbies but I could only picture us getting to the start line and missing the race because we were so late. I impolitely told my husband to grab Trex and start running towards the race while I woke Pacey and followed (let me add we had to park blocks and blocks away from the zoo entrance).


















I try extremely hard to keep composer with my husband in public. This is something I am always aware of and have seen wives unintentionally disrespect and belittle their spouses in front of others too many times so I make it a point not to. HOWEVER I am human and today was the wife speed walking half a block behind yelling up to my hubby to go faster, run, move, get to the race! Oh my why did I do that, I'm sure people were watching and listening thinking I was a crazy person, it was just a preschoolers race for pete's sake.

With an almost 2 year old in my left arm, his rain boats barely on, my giant purse bouncing around, a new camera around my neck and sweat appearing on my face we got to the start line just in time. My family, have I told you how wonderful they are, were there waiting to cheer him on; my dad asking all the race volunteers for details wondering how the waves were set up and the layout of the course. He quickly realized it was a tiny little maybe 20 foot course and there were no rules or details to be had. I stood at the finish ready to click away capturing the moment when the gun went off, ok not really but someone said start. Where was my boy, did someone push him over, is he ok?


















Once the race ended and crowd cleared we saw him, clinging to his daddy with a face filled with crocodile tears. After all that, all the preparations and stress he let his intense fear of people get the best of him and didn't run. My heart sank, I was sad and disappointed, I knew he could do it. My husband was quick to say I told you so and I could tell our endurance as parents was put to the test today. I expressed my disappointment but took into consideration he is only three and very shy. After all said and done when the other kids were packing up to leave he ran his own race. Stretching his legs, pumping his arms and smiling ear to ear.

























As I sit in front of this screen replaying the moments in my mind the race didn't matter. He was exposed to a somewhat real race, was challenged and in his own way and time was the biggest winner of all to family who cheered, jumped up and down and told him how proud we were. Endurance was tested by we kept on, put things into perspective and walked away with an unforgettable memory.


































1 comment:

  1. Very well written. I loved our day with Trexen and his accomplishment! I also love your honesty! You are very good about not belittling Jeff, but quit honestly, we all let stress get the best of us. I am so proud of you. You are such amazing young woman.
    I almost peed my pants laughing as I was reading this!!

    ReplyDelete