Monday, October 11, 2010

Staying Strong

Isn't it funny how such a little, innocent person can challenge us so immensely? How can a sweet cheeked, jabber box of a newly two year old cause me to enter a war, a battle over something as simple as sleep? Why do little souls hate sleeping? I would jump for joy and run like the wind to my bed if someone told me to go sleep. Oh what a grand day that would be for this mama but for my little one being asked to snuggle in bed, lay still and close his little peepers is a dreaded request.

My now "big boy" loves his new bed at night, when it is dark and Luna is shining brightly but during the afternoon when he can see his toys and hear his always energized baby brother playing downstairs my big boy struggles. Like most two year olds he requires sleep, he needs that nap and all my mommy senses agree but oh it doesn't make it easier. Today was a battle, he cried, called my name, used his sweet small voice to bargain with me saying, "i not tired, all done, little bit over" and it tugged at my heat. I love my little one more than anything and don't like to see him sad but the nap was necessary especially if we were going to make it to see 7pm all in one piece. So I pulled it together, walked downstairs and prayed for peace. Prayed God would help calm him, reassure him his mommy loves him and didn't abandon him.

6 minutes and 18 seconds later he was quiet, no more banging on the gate, no more bargaining just quiet. I carefully tiptoed up the stairs to find my stubborn tiny soul curled up snoring away. Yes, just what we needed.



Stay strong mamas! See you all Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping issues are definitely one of the hardest things about parenting! Way to stay strong! :) We had to do this with Nathan during the night recently because he's been wanting to be up and have you snuggle with him on the couch at like 3 am. Took 40 minutes of him crying but he is now back to sleeping through the night. Looking forward to Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am shocked that it only too 6 minutes and 18 seconds! Gavin used to do that for a good 30+ minutes before he would fall asleep! To this dy Gavin still takes a good 2 1/2 - 3 hour nap! I love that time and cherish it. Way to stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete