Monday, July 26, 2010

A Minute for Mama


guilt: a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc. whether real or imagined.


So why is it whenever us mamas get a minute to ourselves we feel guilty? Whoever said a minute alone was an offense or crime? Whoever said the dishes need to be done right after lunch or the laundry needs to be folded during nap time or the floor needs to be scrubbed before daddy gets home?


Most mamas I talk to don't get much time to themselves and when they do their mind is racing, thinking about chores to be done or their husband struggling with the kids or the kids crying and sad. Even when we get our minute alone it is consumed by others.


Well that needs to change! I think our guilt is imagined, we too deserve and NEED a minute alone. And in that time alone it needs to be for us, not doing chores, not with the kiddos, not helping someone else but just for US. When Pace was born I started sewing; it is wonderful! I don't get a lot of time but when nap time rolls around I sneak into my sewing room and drift away, creating new baby items or fabric flowers, day dreaming and relaxing. Quite often feelings of guilt try to rush in and take over, I should be cleaning, I should be making dinner, I should be folding the laundry. Then I remember, doing something I love once in a while will make me a better wife, mama and friend.


Fellow mamas... take some time for yourselves this week... and don't feel guilty!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment